A pop-up window presents users with information related to an anchor point, such as a control, graphic, or object.
Pop-up windows have several usage patterns:
- Provide details about an alarm or task listed in the Global Sidebar
- Present users with information related to a UI element (also known as signpost help)
- List objects the user recently viewed in the Navigator
- Open the window so that it doesn't obscure the element for which it provides information.
- Close the window on the user's next mouse click.
- Don't show a tooltip and a pop-up window for the same object, at the same time.
- Use this presentation style:
- Use a short title that explains the content.
- Provide a link or Close button to enable users to close the window.
- Link to additional information as needed.
- Limit user requests to one input. For more than one input, use a dialog.
The minimum size of pop-up window is 294 x 150 pixels and the maximum size is 510 x 424 pixels, including the tail. Make the window as large as required by the content and within the given the screen real estate. Pop-up windows should contain their content without scroll bars.