vSphere Fault Tolerance Feature API operations utility
Utility to illustrate vSphere Fault Tolerance operations on provided Cluster and VM. Illustrates how to
- Enable, Poweron FT VM
- Disable, Enable Secondary VM
- Make Primary VM / Test Failover
Flow through of the solution:
- Connect to provided vCenter Server and Retrieve all Clusters. Check if user provided cluster exists and if vSphere HA is enabled on cluster.
- Search for user provided VM or Pick a VM from one of the clustered host
- Enable FT, monitor for secondary VM creation
- Power on FT VM, monitor for Secondary VM power state and FT Pair protection state
- Disable Secondary VM
- Enable Secondary VM, monitor for FT Pair protection state to restore (i.e enabled and running)
- Promote Secondary to Primary VM ('Test Failover' : Kill primary and check Secondary VM gets promoted to Primary and a new secondary VM gets created), monitor FT Pair protection state
- Revert the inventory state: Power off VM and Turn off FT
2. How to run the Utility?
Run from Dev IDE
- Import files under the src/faulttolerance/ folder into your IDE.
- Required libraries are embedded within Runnable-Jar/ftops.jar, extract & import the libraries into the project.
- Run the utility from 'RunApp' program by providing arguments like:
--vsphereip 192.168.10.1 --username adminUser --password dummyPasswd --clusterName GuruCluster --vmName TestVM
Run from Pre-built Jars
- Copy/Download the ftops.jar from Runnable-jar folder (from the uploaded file) and unzip on to local drive folder say c:\ftops
- Open a command prompt and cd to the folder, lets say cd ftops
- Run a command like shown below to see various usage commands:
C:\ftops>java -jar ftops.jar --help
Sign in to be able to add comments.