Getting Started on NSX
NSX delivers a completely new operational model for networking that breaks through current physical network barriers allowing data center operators to achieve order of magnitude better speed, economics and choice.
Just like server virtualization enables IT to treat physical hosts as a pool of compute capacity, the NSX approach allows IT to treat their physical network as a pool of transport capacity that can be consumed and repurposed on demand.
A virtual machine is a software container which presents logical CPU, memory and storage to an application. Similarly, a virtual network is a software container that presents logical network components – logical switches, logical routers, logical firewalls, logical load balancers, logical VPNs and more – to connected workloads.
Logical networks are programmatically created, provisioned and managed, utilizing the underlying physical network as a simple packet forwarding backplane. Network and security services are distributed and attached to VMs within a network. As a VM is moved to another host, these services stay attached to the VM and move with it. In addition, as new VMs are added to a network to scale an application, policy can be dynamically applied to the new VMs.
The NSX platform delivers the operational model of a VM for the network infrastructure and associated L2-L7 services by providing an API interface e.g. following services are provided by NSX in software.
- Logical Switching– Layer 2 over Layer 3, decoupled from the physical network
- Logical Routing– Routing between virtual networks without exiting the software container
- Logical Firewall – Distributed Firewall, Kernel Integrated, High Performance
- Logical Load Balancer – Application Load Balancing in software
- Logical VPN – Site-to-Site & Remote Access VPN in software
- Virtual to Physical connectivity - Several integration model to enable connectively between virtual and physical networks
- NSX Extensibility - Rich sets of API to integrate and automate third party applications. NSX enables a very rich set of eco-system partners providing their network and security services over the NSX platform.