vRealize Automation Orchestration (o11n) Gateway Service API
Orchestration Gateway Service API Specification
What Is the Orchestration Gateway Service?
The orchestration gateway service provides a gateway to VMware Realize Orchestrator (vRO) for services running on vRealize Automation. By using the gateway, consumers of the API can access a vRO instance, and initiate workflows or script actions without having to deal directly with the vRO APIs.
Note: Currently orchestration gateway service users can access only one vRO configuration (i.e., instance) per tenant. Access to multiple configurations is not suported.
The orchestration gateway service provides a standard way to request code execution by using:
- Well-defined and well-known model abstractions; for example,
- Additional metadata needed to handle the request properly; for example, workflow/action definition ID, tenant ID, requester details, and so on.
When execution of a vRO workflow based on the request occurs, the orchestration gateway tracks code execution, collects the output from the vRO execution, and if needed, provides feedback to the requester.
Typical Use Cases
- The IP address management (IPAM) service or another internal vRA service calls the orchestration gateway service APIs to access a vRO workflow or execute a script.
- A solution user, system administrator, or tenant administrator accesses a GUI to configure, modify, or delete a vRO endpoint.
Configuration for a concrete vRO instance per tenant
A vRO workflow.
A vRO script action.
An endpoint defined on a tenant for accessing vRO.
How the Orchestration Gateway Works
The orchestration gateway service provides APIs that allow an application to list existing categories and workflows associated with a category, and retrieve the workflow definition and workflow definition presentation for a workflow.
After the application has obtained a workflow definition and definition presentation, it can request execution of a workflow definition.
Similarly, an application can list vRO action definitions, retrieve a specified action definition, and then request vRO action definition execution. In addition, an application can configure a vRO endpoint.
After a workflow or action execution is requested, the orchestration gateway service can get execution details and status. It then broadcasts events indicating the changes in the status of tracked workflows, and if requested, notifify the requesterer of a vRO workflow by using a callback method.
For additional information, see the VRealize Automation Programming Guide.
Related Sample Code
- VMware vRealize Automation PluginJenkins vRealize Automation Plugin The vRealize Automation Jenkins plugin enables Jenkins to provision vRealize Automation 7 Blueprints. Requirements Jenkins 1.58+ Java 8 to compile plugin or Java 7 ...vRealize Automation JavaDownload
Updated 1 year
- vRealize Automation API Samples for PostmanvRealize Automation API Samples for Postman Overview The vRealize Automation REST API provides consumers and administrators access to all services in its service catalog that support the vRealize Auto ...vRealize Automation POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 8 months
Updated 2 years
- chef-client example of a bootstrap install on Ubuntu 16.04A basic example to install the chef-client via the install.sh from Chef Software. This should be noted that this only requires wget and bash, so this can work for CentOS, RHEL, debian, Ubuntu, and the ...vRealize Automation vRA Blueprint
- vRA 7 and above prepare_vra_template.ps1Powershell script designed to deploy the needed agents on your windows template. This mimics the prepare_vra_template.sh file for linux and will deploy java, bootstrap and gugent agents from the vRA a ...vRealize Automation PowerShell
- chef-client example of a bootstrap install on Windows using Powershell 3 and upA basic example to install the chef-client via the install.ps1 from Chef Software. This should be noted that this requires Powershell and should work on any version of Windows with Powershell 3+. You ...vRealize Automation vRA Blueprint
- Kubernetes as a Service BlueprintThis blueprint currently requires RHEL/CENTOS 7 Atomic. I do plan to port this to Photon OS as soon as it is GA. Live demo of this solution here > https://youtu.be/X8QfAQmcVjA Full instructions to in ...vRealize Automation vRA BlueprintDownload
Updated 2 years
- Add Disk and New SCSI AdapaterSimple vRO package that has the workflows needed to deploy a new disk, to the same datastore as the chosen VM while adding the next available SCSI adapter. See this post for the best usagevRealize Orchestrator Plug-in SDK vRO PackageDownload
Updated 4 years
- vRealize Automation - Content Management ServicevRealize Automation - Content Management Service You can use the content management service REST API to import and export content, such as blueprints, software components, and other artifacts, from vR ...vRealize Automation api_vra_content_management api_vra_composition POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 11 months