vRealize Automation Composition Service API 7.3
Composition Service API Specification
What Is the Composition Service?
The composition service allows vRA services to register application components, which the composition service manages so that they can be used in composite blueprints. The composition service analyzes the blueprint and breaks it down into tasks for each component service to execute when provisioning the blueprint, or later when performing a day-2 operation on the resulting deployment. The service that registers the component performs the actual tasks needed to provision and update the component.
Typical Use Cases
An infrastructure architect designs blueprints that provision virtual machines to various endpoints.
A software architect designs and registers application components that may be used in blueprints.
An application developer develops converged blueprints representing entire application stacks using machine, network and software components.
A blueprint is made available for an end user to provision.
The deployment resulting from a blueprint being provisioned is able to be managed through various day-2 operations such as scale-in, scale-out, update, destroy.
A composite blueprint is a complex artifact representing a deployable application. This application may be composed of virtual machines, software components, XaaS blueprints, nested composite blueprints and so on. The blueprint captures the components themselves, the dependencies between components, associated property definitions - everything necessary to create a running instance.
The composition service provides a component type registry, which allows other services to define component types which may be used as part of a composite blueprint. Machines, software components, XaaS blueprints and network components are some of the component types registered with the composition service by other services (component type providers).
Component Type Provider
This is the service that is responsible for registering a component type with the composition service. The component type provider understands the details of the component - how to author, how to deploy, how to destroy, and so on. The composition service orchestrates blueprint operations - authoring, provisioning, teardown - but relies on the provider to handle the details for the component. For example, IaaS is responsible for managing the lifecycle of machine components.
When a blueprint is requested from the catalog, the composition service analyzes the components and their inter-dependencies to create an ordered set of tasks. It works with the component providers, which actually carry out these tasks.
For more detailed usage information on the API refer to the vRA Programming Guide.
Related Sample Code
- vRealize Automation - Catalog ServicevRealize Automation - Catalog Service The catalog service REST API is designed to be used by the consumers of the service catalog; for example, an end user who wants to request a catalog item would be ...api_vra_catalog vRealize Automation api_vra_composition POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 1 year
- vRealize Automation - Composition ServicevRealize Automation - Composition Service The composition service allows vRA services to register application components, which the composition service manages so that they can be used in composite bl ...vRealize Automation api_vra_composition POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Content Management ServicevRealize Automation - Content Management Service You can use the content management service REST API to import and export content, such as blueprints, software components, and other artifacts, from vR ...vRealize Automation api_vra_content_management api_vra_composition POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation API Samples for PostmanvRealize Automation API Samples for Postman Overview The vRealize Automation REST API provides consumers and administrators access to all services in its service catalog that support the vRealize Auto ...vRealize Automation POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 6 months
- Submit a catalog item request via vRA API in PowerShellSubmits a catalog item request via the vRA API in PowerShellvRealize Automation PowerShellDownload
Updated 4 months
- vRealize Automation - NSX IntegrationvRealize Automation - NSX Integration NSX integration in vRealize Automation can help creating and configuring existing networks, on-demand NAT networks and on-demand routed networks, creating load ba ...vRealize Automation api_vra_network POSTMAN Collection
- VMware vRealize Automation PluginJenkins vRealize Automation Plugin The vRealize Automation Jenkins plugin enables Jenkins to provision vRealize Automation 7 Blueprints. Requirements Jenkins 1.58+ Java 8 to compile plugin or Java 7 ...vRealize Automation JavaDownload
Updated 2 months
- vRealize Automation - Identity ServicevRealize Automation - Identity Service Identity service manages tenants, business groups (formerly named subtenants), groups (both Single-Sign-On and Custom groups), users and identity stores. It also ...vRealize Automation api_vra_identity POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Component RegistryvRealize Automation - Component Registry Component Registry manages all services (including out-of-the-box services and services from third party solution providers) and serves as the central view for ...api_vra_component_registry vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Event BrokervRealize Automation - Event Broker The event broker provides features for managing subscriptions, event topics, events, and messages. Available Use Case Get event topics Registers or updates an Even ...vRealize Automation api_vra_event_broker POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - BrandingvRealize Automation - Branding The Branding service enables the user to customize the VRA UI header and footer. The configurable properties include logo image, company name, product name, background c ...api_vra_branding vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Management Service APIvRealize Automation - Management Service API You can use the reclamation service to query the VMs in an installation for non-usage and, if they are not in use, mark them as eligible for reclamation. ...vRealize Automation api_vra_management POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Properties ServicevRealize Automation - Properties Service The property service provides APIs to manage property definitions and property groups. Available Use Cases Manage property definitions Manage property groups ...api_vra_properties vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Approval ServicevRealize Automation - Approval Service The approval service provides features for managing and tracking the human approval tasks associated with a service process/artifact in a provider realm. It also ...api_vra_approval vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - WorkItem ServicevRealize Automation - WorkItem Service The work item service provides a standard way for services to present work items to users. It manages the life-cycle of a work item and passes events back to the ...api_vra_approval api_vra_workitem vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
Updated 1 year
- vRA 7 and above prepare_vra_template.ps1Powershell script designed to deploy the needed agents on your windows template. This mimics the prepare_vra_template.sh file for linux and will deploy java, bootstrap and gugent agents from the vRA a ...vRealize Automation PowerShellDownload
Updated 1 year
- chef-client example of a bootstrap install on Ubuntu 16.04A basic example to install the chef-client via the install.sh from Chef Software. This should be noted that this only requires wget and bash, so this can work for CentOS, RHEL, debian, Ubuntu, and the ...vRealize Automation vRA BlueprintDownload
Updated 2 years