vRealize Automation Network Service API
Network Service API Specification
What is the Network Service REST API?
The network service provides features that allow you to manage network and security settings. It acts as an abstraction layer over the networking and security features provided by the infrastructure (vSphere, NSX and VCNS).
The network service provides support for creating and configuring existing networks, on-demand NAT networks and on-demand routed networks, creating load balancers, and adding and configuring security groups and security tags for vSphere machines. IaaS is registered as a provider for all the networking domain objects.
There are five domain objects associated with the network service:
- Load Balancer
- Security Group
- Security Tag
- Security Policy
Each object has its corresponding type. The provider registers the a domain object type with the service.
Typical Use Cases
You can use the network service REST API to:
- Allocate or deallocate a network or security component
- Validate a network or security component at authoring time
- Create, update, or delete load balancer types
- Create or delete on-demand network objects
- Request a network resource
- Create, update, or delete network types
- Return a list of on-demand networks
- Return a list of existing security groups
- Create, update or delete on-demand security groups
- Assign a security group (on-demand or existing) to a machine
- Create, update, or delete security group types
- Return a list of existing security tags
- Assign a security tag to a machine
- Return a list of existing security policies
- Create an on-demand security group with a list of selected security policies
For example, the composition service calls the network service for allocation, provisioning and day-2 operations, by using the converged blueprint format.
A collection of nodes interconnected via physical or virtual paths/links.
A physical or logical device that distributes incoming requests evenly among multiple servers that can handle traffic so as to maximize throughput and avoid single points of failure. This allows cumulative network traffic to be split up into multiple paths before the traffic reaches the destination/target.
Security groups are a mechanism that enables the network administrator to dynamically associate and group workloads or objects that belong to one's vSphere inventory. Users can assign machines to an existing security group or define an on-demand security group by selecting one or more existing security policies.
A security tag is a qualifier object or categorizing entry that is used as a grouping mechanism. Using NSX, administrators define the criteria that an object must meet to be added to a security group to configure security tags. Users can use the network component APIs to query and assign existing security tags to machines.
A security policy is a re-usable set of specific rules spanning network and security services that can be applied to a security group. Users can define an on-demand security group by selecting one or more of the existing security policies.
For additional information about the VRealize Automation REST API, see the VRealize Automation Programming Guide or the user documentation for VRealize Automation.
Related Sample Code
- vRealize Automation - NSX IntegrationvRealize Automation - NSX Integration NSX integration in vRealize Automation can help creating and configuring existing networks, on-demand NAT networks and on-demand routed networks, creating load ba ...vRealize Automation api_vra_network POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation API Samples for PostmanvRealize Automation API Samples for Postman Overview The vRealize Automation REST API provides consumers and administrators access to all services in its service catalog that support the vRealize Auto ...vRealize Automation POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 4 months
- vRealize Automation - Catalog ServicevRealize Automation - Catalog Service The catalog service REST API is designed to be used by the consumers of the service catalog; for example, an end user who wants to request a catalog item would be ...api_vra_catalog vRealize Automation api_vra_composition POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 8 months
- vRealize Automation - Content Management ServicevRealize Automation - Content Management Service You can use the content management service REST API to import and export content, such as blueprints, software components, and other artifacts, from vR ...vRealize Automation api_vra_content_management api_vra_composition POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Composition ServicevRealize Automation - Composition Service The composition service allows vRA services to register application components, which the composition service manages so that they can be used in composite bl ...vRealize Automation api_vra_composition POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Identity ServicevRealize Automation - Identity Service Identity service manages tenants, business groups (formerly named subtenants), groups (both Single-Sign-On and Custom groups), users and identity stores. It also ...vRealize Automation api_vra_identity POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Management Service APIvRealize Automation - Management Service API You can use the reclamation service to query the VMs in an installation for non-usage and, if they are not in use, mark them as eligible for reclamation. ...vRealize Automation api_vra_management POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Component RegistryvRealize Automation - Component Registry Component Registry manages all services (including out-of-the-box services and services from third party solution providers) and serves as the central view for ...api_vra_component_registry vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- VMware vRealize Automation PluginJenkins vRealize Automation Plugin The vRealize Automation Jenkins plugin enables Jenkins to provision vRealize Automation 7 Blueprints. Requirements Jenkins 1.58+ Java 8 to compile plugin or Java 7 ...vRealize Automation JavaDownload
Updated 1 year
- vRealize Automation - WorkItem ServicevRealize Automation - WorkItem Service The work item service provides a standard way for services to present work items to users. It manages the life-cycle of a work item and passes events back to the ...api_vra_approval api_vra_workitem vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Event BrokervRealize Automation - Event Broker The event broker provides features for managing subscriptions, event topics, events, and messages. Available Use Case Get event topics Registers or updates an Even ...vRealize Automation api_vra_event_broker POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - BrandingvRealize Automation - Branding The Branding service enables the user to customize the VRA UI header and footer. The configurable properties include logo image, company name, product name, background c ...api_vra_branding vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Properties ServicevRealize Automation - Properties Service The property service provides APIs to manage property definitions and property groups. Available Use Cases Manage property definitions Manage property groups ...api_vra_properties vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Approval ServicevRealize Automation - Approval Service The approval service provides features for managing and tracking the human approval tasks associated with a service process/artifact in a provider realm. It also ...api_vra_approval vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- chef-client example of a bootstrap install on Ubuntu 16.04A basic example to install the chef-client via the install.sh from Chef Software. This should be noted that this only requires wget and bash, so this can work for CentOS, RHEL, debian, Ubuntu, and the ...vRealize Automation vRA Blueprint
- vRA 7 and above prepare_vra_template.ps1Powershell script designed to deploy the needed agents on your windows template. This mimics the prepare_vra_template.sh file for linux and will deploy java, bootstrap and gugent agents from the vRA a ...vRealize Automation PowerShellDownload
Updated 2 years
Updated 2 years
- chef-client example of a bootstrap install on Windows using Powershell 3 and upA basic example to install the chef-client via the install.ps1 from Chef Software. This should be noted that this requires Powershell and should work on any version of Windows with Powershell 3+. You ...vRealize Automation vRA Blueprint