vRealize Automation Advanced Designer Service API (vRealize Automation 7.3)
XaaS (Advanced Service Designer) Service API Specification
What Is the XaaS REST API?
The advanced service designer (XaaS) REST API enables creation of custom services by exposing any vRealize Orchestrator (vRO) workflow to vRA's Service Catalog to provide custom functionality.
Typical Use Cases
You can use the XaaS REST API to:
Create XaaS Custom Resources, Blueprints, Resource Mappings and Actions.
Import and export XaaS components, such as custom resources, blueprints, and so on, from one vRealize Automation system to another.
Administrative users use the advanced designer service as follows:
Tenant administrators create and manage the workflow subscriptions that are specific to their tenant.
System administrators create and manage system workflow subscriptions.
The created system workflow subscriptions are active for events in any tenant and for system events.
The XaaS domain model includes four basic objects - resource types, resource mappings, service blueprints and resource actions.
A resource type provides an abstraction of a resource from the physical and virtual IT world - a virtual machine, a user, an account, a network card, and so on.
To enable ASD to use resources, you must create a resource type object in XaaS.
A service blueprint is a blueprint for a service. It is based on a vRO workflow, but its request form (used to get input from users of the service) can be customized.
The key feature of service blueprints is that, when you request them, they produce (provision) resources of a spcified resource type.
A resource mapping is a workflow that maps one resource type to another resource type. It allows resource actions to be performed over types that can be mapped.
Like service blueprints, resource actions are built around a vRO workflow. They have a resource as an input, and usually are used to change the state of a resource. They are also referred as "2nd day operations."
Import and Export of Content
XaaS is a provider of content, and if CMS is present, XaaS objects can be registered as content. After an ASD object is registered, it can be exported/imported centrally from CMS. Note that this is not to be confused with ASD internal content management -- this feature is deprecated.
For more detailed usage information on importing and exporting content, see the "Import and Export Content" use case in the "Use Cases" chapter of the vRA Programming Guide.
Workflow subscriptions use the event broker service to monitor the registered services for event messages in vRealize Automation, and then run a specified vRealize Orchestrator workflow when the conditions in the subscription are met.
To configure the subscription, you specify the event topic, the triggering conditions, and the workflow that runs when triggered.
Tenant administrators can create and manage the workflow subscriptions that are specific to their tenant. The system administrator can create and manage system workflow subscriptions. The created system workflow subscriptions are active for events in any tenant and for system events.
Related Sample Code
- VMware vRealize Automation PluginJenkins vRealize Automation Plugin The vRealize Automation Jenkins plugin enables Jenkins to provision vRealize Automation 7 Blueprints. Requirements Jenkins 1.58+ Java 8 to compile plugin or Java 7 ...vRealize Automation JavaDownload
Updated 2 years
- vRealize Automation API Samples for PostmanvRealize Automation API Samples for Postman Overview The vRealize Automation REST API provides consumers and administrators access to all services in its service catalog that support the vRealize Auto ...vRealize Automation POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 1 month
Updated 9 months
- vRealize Automation - Catalog ServicevRealize Automation - Catalog Service The catalog service REST API is designed to be used by the consumers of the service catalog; for example, an end user who wants to request a catalog item would be ...api_vra_catalog vRealize Automation api_vra_composition POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 9 months
- vRealize Automation - NSX IntegrationvRealize Automation - NSX Integration NSX integration in vRealize Automation can help creating and configuring existing networks, on-demand NAT networks and on-demand routed networks, creating load ba ...vRealize Automation api_vra_network POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Composition ServicevRealize Automation - Composition Service The composition service allows vRA services to register application components, which the composition service manages so that they can be used in composite bl ...vRealize Automation api_vra_composition POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Identity ServicevRealize Automation - Identity Service Identity service manages tenants, business groups (formerly named subtenants), groups (both Single-Sign-On and Custom groups), users and identity stores. It also ...vRealize Automation api_vra_identity POSTMAN CollectionDownload
Updated 10 months
- vRealize Automation - Content Management ServicevRealize Automation - Content Management Service You can use the content management service REST API to import and export content, such as blueprints, software components, and other artifacts, from vR ...vRealize Automation api_vra_content_management api_vra_composition POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Event BrokervRealize Automation - Event Broker The event broker provides features for managing subscriptions, event topics, events, and messages. Available Use Case Get event topics Registers or updates an Even ...vRealize Automation api_vra_event_broker POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - BrandingvRealize Automation - Branding The Branding service enables the user to customize the VRA UI header and footer. The configurable properties include logo image, company name, product name, background c ...api_vra_branding vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Component RegistryvRealize Automation - Component Registry Component Registry manages all services (including out-of-the-box services and services from third party solution providers) and serves as the central view for ...api_vra_component_registry vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Management Service APIvRealize Automation - Management Service API You can use the reclamation service to query the VMs in an installation for non-usage and, if they are not in use, mark them as eligible for reclamation. ...vRealize Automation api_vra_management POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Properties ServicevRealize Automation - Properties Service The property service provides APIs to manage property definitions and property groups. Available Use Cases Manage property definitions Manage property groups ...api_vra_properties vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - Approval ServicevRealize Automation - Approval Service The approval service provides features for managing and tracking the human approval tasks associated with a service process/artifact in a provider realm. It also ...api_vra_approval vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRealize Automation - WorkItem ServicevRealize Automation - WorkItem Service The work item service provides a standard way for services to present work items to users. It manages the life-cycle of a work item and passes events back to the ...api_vra_approval api_vra_workitem vRealize Automation POSTMAN Collection
- vRA 7 and above prepare_vra_template.ps1Powershell script designed to deploy the needed agents on your windows template. This mimics the prepare_vra_template.sh file for linux and will deploy java, bootstrap and gugent agents from the vRA a ...vRealize Automation PowerShellDownload
Updated 10 months
- chef-client example of a bootstrap install on Ubuntu 16.04A basic example to install the chef-client via the install.sh from Chef Software. This should be noted that this only requires wget and bash, so this can work for CentOS, RHEL, debian, Ubuntu, and the ...vRealize Automation vRA Blueprint